Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bug Strippy #2

The top for Bug Strippy #2 is done. The only thing that's different from the first one is the lime green accent fabric. I am really developing a liking for these strippies. Even if I am just poking along, I can still finish a top in a couple of hours.

My good friend Ann suggested that the strippies might also make good quilts for folks in wheelchairs, so eventually I might make some using more grown up prints. I have 10 or 12 yards of bug fabric to use up first though, and that will keep me busy for a while.

Just for a change, I'd also like to make some vertical strippies. Using the same proportions would work equally well, I think, and there would be fewer but longer seams to piece.




I haven't gotten around to buying my bolt of muslin yet, so I took a set of hand dyed fat quarters I've had for many years and cut them up into strips for a backing. I never used them because I didn't care for the texture of the muslin that was used and because I rarely use solid colors in my quilts. Anyway, I took each fat quarter and cut a 10" wide strip and a 6" wide strip out of it. Then I sewed all the same width strips together into two enormously long strips, then measured and cut 48" long sections from each strip. I haven't sewed the sections together yet, but this is what the backing will look like. I cut and sewed enough strips for one backing plus most of another and will just have to cut up a few more fat quarters for the additional backing for next week's strippy--which will be, you guessed it, more bug fabric!

I'm hoping to finish sewing the backing together this evening and then get it loaded and quilted tomorrow when I get home from work.

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a great idea for a backing!

Gina said...

Great idea for the backing of a quilt.
I still love that buggy fabric. It's so cute. #

Love and hugs Gina xx

Anonymous said...

Wow Sue - you have really made good use of that "bug" fabric! Your strippy quilts are so cute!

Lori in South Dakota said...

Love the use of the hand dyes. Sometimes you just gotta pull out things you haven't used yet and find a place for them! They will look wonderful with the bugs. And I never tire of looking at flower pictures. Hostas are such wonderful forgiving plants. My blossom smell heavenly--do yours?? Makes me want to go walk in them right now.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great use of fabric that you had on hand! I've seen that idea worked up with smaller pieces for scrap quilts too and I liked how that looked too! Anyway - the colors you used really work with that buggy fabric!

Cheers!
Evelyn

Mary Johnson said...

Very cute! Aren't these fun?