Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sock Update


I haven't spent five minutes in my sewing room since I finished the last Star BOM block; and there was absolutely nothing to add to the Sunday Stash Report, so I didn't bother to do one. Truthfully, I haven't been able to tear myself away from knitting this pair of socks since I started my class.

I finished the first sock this morning, except for weaving the toe closed, and I've turned the heel on the second sock. There are plenty of imperfections in the socks, and I suspect they may be a little large; but I'm so excited I was actually able to knit myself a pair of socks!

Tomorrow night in class, I'll learn the kitchener stitch to close the toe; and we'll begin a dishcloth. I can't help but think that a dishcloth will be a cake walk after making a sock.

Our temperatures have hovered at or below zero for several days now, and lots of us around the country are experiencing the same frigid temperatures. The Southern and Central Plains weathered 36 hours of continuous freezing rain, and the storm has now moved up into Central Maine. We are expecting 1 -2 feet of snow today, on top of the 21 inches we already have on the ground. I stuck a ruler out in the yard this morning, so I can measure how much we actually get.

Global warming is real... and it's dangerous.

11 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I heard Maine was going to get hit hard with this storm. We only have about 10" on the ground with our new 2" snow last night. The snow has been settling. I hadn't used my snow shovel for 8 days when I got it out this morning.

Your socks look great. I have never knit socks but I have done a lot of dishcloths.

Norma said...

I am so excited that you are so close to a finish! I am surprised that you are doing a dish cloth after the sock too, but it might have some fancy stitches to learn included! Proud of you......might need to learn how to do this myself!

Teresa said...

Well, you might get 2 messages from me if the first decides to show up! Anyway your socks are looking great. You better hurry & finish it sounds like you my need them to keep warm. We only ended up with 5" but another storm is coming! This is nothing like the winters in Montana. One winter it started snowing before Thansgiving & never stopped. I kept making the kids shovel off the windows. It was either that or kill them! Their choice...

Shari said...

The socks are looking good. A lot of ladies in my group over here are trying them too.

I don't know about global warming, but growing up in Nebraska in the 60's and 70's we always had heaps of snow in the winter, literally feet upon feet. We used to make snow forts... and play swords with icicles and freeze our fingers and toes until Mom yelled at us to come inside.

Hang in there! Spring will come!

Julia said...

The socks look great..
Did you find them hard to do..
I found turning the heel the hardest..
well done!
Julia ♥

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Good job on the socks! They sure do look comfy and warm...just in time for the balance of winter!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Socks are a challenge to knit - good job. They look very good!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Well, it certainly LOOKS like your knitting class is a success - great job on that pair of socks. We were hard hit with snow followed by rain, followed by freezing temperatures. The kids have no school today due to ice. Stay warm! Cheers! Evelyn

Beth French said...

You are making great progress on your socks, Sue! Yes, a dishcloth will be easy peasy after socks. Usually people work up to socks, especially since you have to knit two. Knitting is addictive. Soon you will have to do a stash report on your yarn stash, too. Have fun!

Barb D said...

You have made PROGRESS!! They look like the real deal so I guess you've been paying attention!! Good for you learning something new!! Just don't forget - you are really a "Quilter" - LOL I don't have any "yarn scraps" to bag up for ya!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Socks are addictive! Yours are looking good. I just started a new method - 2 pairs on 2 circulars. I thinks my favorite is going to be cuff down on DPNs but I'm determined to learn every way to do them.