Sunday, February 1, 2009

Tote Finished

I finished my tote late this evening, and I really like how it turned out. These lined totes are turned through an opening in the bottom of the lining and the last time I made one, I had some trouble sewing the opening closed and making it look nice. Yes, I know no one will see it, but I am a firm believer in making the inside look as nice as the outside, a concept that was drilled into me years ago when I learned garment construction.

Anyway, I used some 1/4" wide fusible tape along one edge, then folded the opposite edge 1/4" under, placed the turned edge over the other, and fused them together. It worked like a charm, and then I appliqued the seam to make sure it doesn't come apart. A very nice, clean finish.

Credit where credit is due:
Camille's Bag by Penny Sturges, www.quiltsillustrated.com

8 comments:

Paula said...

Very pretty bag!!! Love it.

Stephanie D said...

That's a really nice bag--looks as if you'd bought it somewhere!

Margo in Maine said...

Looks great.....job well done....

Julia said...

That's a really nice bag, beuatifully made,,
Julia ♥

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Very good looking bag and thanks for the tip on the fusible tape! I'll have to try that when I make my totes...

Teresa said...

Hi Sue, Your bag turn out great, I think it's time I made a new one for myself!!

Barb D said...

I love it!! Hey, I think I have some of that fabric!!

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I found your site over at Elsie's. Although I've never entered the world of quilting as a participant, I really enjoy admiring the creative beauties that come from the hands and sewing machines of others.

I love this tote bag.... the colours are so rich.

You'd be most welcome to stop by my place....