Monday, June 22, 2009

Sunday Stash Report

When I think back over this past week, I can barely remember what I did all week. For sure, I didn't do much sewing. I did finish knitting this piece. I'll bet you think it's a hat. You're close. Well, no, not really. It's a bowl. Actually it will be a felted bowl after I get it felted. The theme this month in my knitting class is felted wool, and we were offered two projects, either a set of bowls in five different sizes, or a felted tote. I'd like to make the tote next, but my teacher hasn't actually felted hers yet, and I'm waiting to see what it looks like before I start.

Next month, we will be working on miniature knitted Christmas ornaments--little tiny sweaters and hats and mittens and so on. I'm looking forward to it.

We have a block raffle at the Tacoma Lakes quilting group once a month, and the theme for June was Patriotic. I didn't get my block done in time for the drawing, but my good friend Koleen won, so I made her this block. It's called Fireworks from Kim Brackett's new book, Scrap Basket Surprises, and I love it! Eventually I'll make a quilt with this block. I found this great background fabric too, that looks like fireworks.

I went to Carolee's on Thursday for our machine embroidery group. Three of us who all have Berninas try to get together a couple times a month to learn more about our embroidery modules. Pauline is the brains of the group, but each of us has something to contribute, and we have fun. This time I learned how to quilt this small quilt sandwich, which is actually one of the blocks for my rag quilt. I think I probably blogged about starting this quilt a long time ago, but it stalled when I got to the quilting. I'm very excited about the new possibilities of quilting with my embroidery machine. Unluckily, my machine wasn't really stitching out some of the designs very well, so I took it to the shop for a tune up. I really hope I get her back in a week or less.

And I finished quilting a butterfly strippy this evening. I quilted it with, what else? a butterfly pantograph called Angel Wings from Willow Leaf.

As far as the Stash Manager's report goes, I didn't really use up enough fabric to even bother counting, and I didn't buy a thing this week, so nothing in, nothing out!

6 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

That fireworks block is great! It's very dynamic. Guess I'll have to take a look at that book. And I always like a strippie quilt. :)

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Glad you are keeping busy with your knitting, embroidery, sewing and quilting! your butterfly quilt makes me want to make the strippies I have fabric set aside for :) and I need to look at my book a little closer and find that block. great job on everything.

Stephanie D said...

I love that block, but do I count right? 32 pieces? I'll bet it's striking when you have a bunch laid out, but I think it'd have to be really big blocks for me to tackle it!

Kim Brackett said...

I love the background fabric you used for your Fireworks block! It's so appropriate. And your strippy quilt is great -- very pretty!

Margo in Maine said...

Love your block..you have been a busy gal...I have been painting and have not done much except today with great granddaughter...made a pillow cover with her...strippy is really nice...I enjoy doing them too..the word verication is unbating....that is fitting...of course it left out the extra t...oh well little things is what makes life...

Unknown said...

You really have been busy , I have enjoyed looking at your blog , thanks .