Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday Stash Report

Okay, let me just put it right out there--I bought 36 yards of fabric this week. I'm glad that's over with!

Three of us carpooled up to Bangor yesterday for a machine quilters meeting, and after the meeting we visited both the Marden's in Brewer and the Marden's in Ellsworth. Some folks already know about Marden's; and for those that don't, Marden's is a salvage company that buys all sorts of things from all sorts of places. Most stores have a fabric department where quilting cottons usually sell for either $2.99 or $3.99 a yard. The Ellsworth store has a particularly good fabric department. If you're ever up in our neck of the woods, make sure you plan a trip to Marden's.

Four of us are going to start working on a project together, a quilt called September Sun by Jinny Beyer. All of us are making the same pattern, but each quilter will choose her own fabrics and make her own quilt, so a shopping trip was in order. I've been a Jinny Beyer junkie for years; and as it happened, Marden's recently got in a whole bunch of Jinny Beyer prints. So, hey, I went shopping and stocked up! Who could resist at $2.99 a yard? Some of the fabrics I got will be for the September Sun project. I love these colors!

I didn't do much sewing this week, but I did get the Butterfly strippy completely finished, and I got the binding machine stitched to my Springtime Stars quilt. Still have to hand stitch it down.

So here's the Stash Manager's Report:

Fabric used this week: 3/4 yard
Fabric used year to date: 45-1/2 yards
Fabric added this week: 36 yards
Fabric added year to date: 161 yards
Net used year to date: -115-1/2 yards

I'll do better next month. Really.

Other than paying some bills and a little bit of reading, I have stayed off the computer as much as I could the last week, and my arm is feeling better. Just need to keep taking it easy for a little while longer.

Last I heard, the month of June was the sixth rainiest on record here in Maine. That was before we had another week of rain. In the last week and a half, I'll bet we've only had two days without rain. The sun actually came out one of those days. It was pouring rain off and on again today. I like rainy days usually, but I'm beginning to feel a little like Noah.

6 comments:

Lurline said...

You will have lots of fun making your Summer Sun!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Beth French said...

I'm impressed, your husband reads your blog and still supports your quilt habit? Good for you! Re your arm: have you ever heard of a vertical mouse? I have heard of it this weekend and it is supposed to be good for sore wrists, arms, shoulders. Extend your arm as if to shake someone's hand and you will see the position your hand will be in when holding the mouse. Happy quilting!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Well, sometimes you need to buy to freshen the stash :) Glad the arm is getting better.

Stephanie D said...

I remember that pattern--she designed it after 9/11 and it is gorgeous! Ambitious, though--at least it would be for me.

36 yards! I don't feel so bad about my 10 1/2 yard purchase today now that I read yours!

But hey, fresh fabrics are great to boost a sagging stash.

Kim Brackett said...

I want to go to Marden's! Love the color swatches you've put together. Very pretty.

Hope the rain lets up soon. Wish you could just send it my way!

Judy S. said...

Love that quilt block! Oh well, when it rains at least you don't feel guilty about not working in the garden.... We're in Chicago for a couple more days, and then back home where I'll bet our yard has turned into a jungle.