Monday, October 12, 2009

Hourglass Log Cabin

Last night I finished sewing all the blocks together for the little log cabin quilt. I think I will be happy enough with a 3/8" binding to frame the quilt, so no border on this.

Several people wanted to know how big these blocks were, and I'm sorry I didn't think to include that information. Each of these little blocks finishes to 4" square, so each little log finishes to 1/2" wide. Because the pieces were small, I cut strips or rectangles from my scraps that measured at least 1-1/8" wide. Then I paper pieced the blocks, trimming any excess fabric off as I went.

9 comments:

blushing rose said...

Breathtakingly awesome. Have a warm crisp autumn day ... TTFN ~Marydon

Shari said...

What a sweet little quilt! Paper-piecing is the way to go with small scraps... well done... and just binding it is a great idea to not detract from the cute little blocks...

Lurline said...

I love it!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Judy S. said...

Very nice, Sue! On your way to another finish!

Margo in Maine said...

As always...so nice...see you tomorow...

Lori in South Dakota said...

Oh, those little seams make my head ache from clear over here! You are so patient!

Purple Pam said...

Great little quilt, so colorful. Nice job.

Unknown said...

Love your mini log cabin, that is my all time favorite quilt pattern. Enjoy.

Mary Johnson said...

Looks great -- love the setting and wow, what patience you must have to paper piece it.