Monday, June 21, 2010

Jewel Box

Anyone who has been reading my blog for a while knows what a terrible procrastinator I am. Oh wait, we did that already. This quilt has been a ufo for at least 12 years. Sad, isn't it? I haven't worked in my Rotation for a while because I've been busy with other things, but this is quilt #5, a quilt called Jewel Box by Jinny Beyer.

I actually made this exact quilt for my niece when she graduated from high school. Back then my younger boy was still in elementary school, and he was crazy over the color purple. He loved this quilt and was heartbroken when I shipped it off to my niece, so I said I'd make another one for him. Poor kid, he's all grown up now and still waiting, but he still loves this quilt.

After I worked on this quilt for a half hour or so, I remembered why it became a ufo. Each of those purple medallions is constructed from four fussy cut pieces; so there is lots of matching and pinning that has to be done, which is very time consuming.

I had all the blocks done before today, so this evening I sewed all the rows together. The center is now complete and ready for the borders. The borders will look like those pieces on the side in the photo, but I have no idea what I'll do for that red violet in the middle. It's perfect for the quilt, but I don't have enough of it to border all the way around. That could prove to be enough of an obstacle that it will wind up back in the ufo pile.

7 comments:

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Your Jewel Box quilt is beautiful. Have you any of the other fabrics from the quilt left? Maybe you could combine them with the red violet in some kind of pieced border. Love your difficult medallions. So pretty!

Kim Brackett said...

Beautiful quilt! I love the way you fussy-cut the triangles. It makes a very striking design. Maybe you could find a substitute for the red violet fabric? I would hate to see this one go back in the UFO pile. :)

Denise said...

One word, Beautiful! I too can understand why it became a UFO, but I like the idea Apple Avenue had to piece a border. Or would it work to leave out that section, I know it wouldn't be as striking?

Stephanie D said...

Hmmm, I left a comment, but guess I missed the verification word.

Anyway, I love jewel box quilts and have been saving batiks to make one for myself. I do love the way you have the purple blocks pieced, though it must really have been a pain in the patootie to put it together.

And I root for a guy who loves purple!

Margo in Maine said...

I am here....ha ha....love this quilt...great to see you today and quilt together...I know I have been lax with my blog...but will get better...looking for those 6 projects to finish this year..what a challenge!!!!

Judy S. said...

Nice! I'll bet you'll think of something to make this a finish...you are SO close!

Purple Pam said...

No, please don't put it away. Use another fabric if you don't have enough of the first one. It is a wonderful quilt and your son has been waiting a looooooong time for it!