Saturday, August 28, 2010

PS I Love You

It's been about a month and a half since I worked on anything in my Power of Ten rotation, but I got the urge to work on one of those quilts a few days ago, and this was the next one in the rotation. This was supposed to be a challenge for the same four of us that made the September Sun quilts. Two of the girls have got theirs quilted and bound already, and two of us are still struggling with fabrics.

In fact I've struggled for months trying to choose fabrics for it, as I always do when choosing fabrics for a planned quilt. I much prefer scrappy quilts or kits.

Some of these fabrics I ordered sometime last year for a pattern I was testing; but when they arrived I was disappointed they weren't at all what I'd pictured. The colors seemed so dull, and the scale of the prints was not at all what I expected. So into the closet they went. I actually considered them several times for this quilt, dismissed them, and came back to them in the end. Now that I've got one block together, maybe they're not so bad after all.

I need 13 star blocks and 12 snoball blocks for my quilt. No idea what I'm doing for fabric for the snoball blocks yet, but I think I've got the sashing and border fabrics picked out. I sewed one block last night to see how it might look, decided it would work just fine, and spent this afternoon cutting up fabric for the remaining 12 star blocks.

I've spent all the time I want to on this quilt for now, so it's going back into the closet, and the next project in my rotation is ready and waiting.

6 comments:

Purple Pam said...

Interesting design. I like star designs. I don't think I have seen this one before.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Funny how the finished project, once done and quilted, always looks better than we think it will. I have a hunch this is what will happen to you with this one!

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Beautiful star! Can't wait to see the rest of this quilt.

Elisabeth said...

I like your block and I like your colors.I also have some of those fabic that have disappointed me. But think of the good feeling you´ll get when you have used these fabric in a nice quilt :-)

Elisabeth

Barb D said...

I like your choice of fabrics! I'm still not real happy with mine so I think I may change them after all. I'll use what I have so far for something else! Thank goodness I haven't done too much!

Margo in Maine said...

I have never seen a bad choice of colors in any quilt you did....but I agree it is hard to work on something that you are not excited about the fabrics...I have one still waiting....stack n whack that I started....not really pleased with it....need to come up with another plan...this one of yours looks great..