Sunday, October 3, 2010

Annual Leaf Peeping Tour

The leaf peeping websites indicated that the mountains attained 30% of their peak color this weekend, but we usually miss peak because we never go early enough in the season. The photo in the header was from this weekend. Does that look like 30% peak color to you? I'm glad we went this weekend. For once we might have hit it just right.

We seem to follow the same circuit every year and take the same set of photos, but I still don't get tired of seeing it. We prepared a small picnic lunch and some snacks and headed up to
Rangeley, had lunch at the state park, and headed home again. This is Coos Canyon in Byron.


Quite accidentally we stumbled across Pins and Needles quilt shop in Farmington. I knew of it from the shop hops we do every year in April, but I'd never been there. What a find this place was! Not only do they have great collections of batiks and 30s repros, but they also have a fabulous collection of yarns, including sock yarns. They do mail order too. The shop is not as far to go as I thought, and those ladies were just plain nice; so I'll be going back there again.

In Rangeley my husband spotted Threads Galore, another quilt shop I'd never been to. They are a smaller shop, and they also offer quilters retreats for groups of up to nine people in the house next door to the shop. That's pretty convenient! We didn't check out the facilities, but you can see some photos on their website.

I'd sure like to go touring at least once more before fall is over, but I work Friday and Sunday so I'm still debating.

5 comments:

Judy S. said...

Maine is one of the places on my list to see some one of these days...beautiful photos! Thanks!

Margo in Maine said...

Isn't the array of color beautiful...looks like you took the same trip...visited the same shops as we did earlier this summer....it is truly a wonderful season...and great weather....thanks for the pics...

FeatherDuster said...

With views like those, I can see why you take the same route :)

jess said...

I can tell you that the midcoast is incredible right now... the colors are not quite at peak yet. I will have to check out that quilt shop.

Stephanie D said...

That is such beautiful scenery!