Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year

I don't usually make New Year's resolutions because I never keep them, but this year I'm making an exception because there are a few things I'd really like to do this year.

Resolution #1: Manage my time better.

All last year I quizzed my friends about how they structure their days because they seem to get so much more done than I do. Time management is an elusive thing for me, and I recognize that I waste a lot of it and really could accomplish so much more. So this year I'm going to try to make some inroads with this. I really don't have a strategy for accomplishing this yet, other than "Just Do It".

Resolution #2: Get back to blogging.

Back in July when I stopped blogging, it was because my husband went on travel for a month, and I was left with trying to keep up with yardwork and some other things along with all my regular chores. I was really busy last summer, and something had to give, and it was blogging. Prior to July I was rather feeling like I was spending too much time on the computer anyway, so I didn't mind giving it up. I checked my email occasionally on my iPod and rarely turned on my computer.

Truth is, I miss writing on my blog and miss reading all my favorite blogs. So I'm making the effort to get back to blogging. I just have to find the right balance so I'm not spending too much time at it.

Resolution #3: Complete at least one UFO a month.

Even though I haven't been so successful with this, I plan to keep plugging away at it. The One Project a Month challenge that Kris sponsors restarts at the end of this month, and hopefully she'll have a new blog button for it. I've already removed last year's projects from my sidebar but left the old blog button for the time being.

Resolution #4: Complete one pair of socks a month.

I actually may have made darn near 12 pair of socks last year, but this year I'll make it official. Denise Russart has launched a sock challenge, 12 in 2012, from her blog, and I signed up. There's no prize or anything, just the satisfaction of knowing I'm using up the yarn and getting socks made.

I have a few other resolutions for 2012, but I'm not feeling the same level of resolve for those, so I'll keep thinking about them. In the meantime, if anyone is still reading my blog after all this time, Happy New Year to you!

5 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I have a lot of blogs that are helping clear up the UFO's. You can find buttons to their blogs on the right side of my blog. Among them are others to help you make more quilts too. Which I am trying to use up all my scraps.

Teresa said...

I'm bad. I don't blog for months on end & I'm a time waster too! I blogged through Christmas & I'm hoping to keep at a least once a week. A lot has to do with actually having something to blog about... There's know way I could ever keep up with the speed stitchers or maybe it's the stitchers on speed! :) Who knows. My only goal this year is for every project I start & FINISH, I also complete 1 of my PhD's. Have to wait & see how it goes... It was nice to see you online again.

Stephanie D said...

Hi, Sue! Welcome back!

I've been remiss about blogging, too--just checked and my last post was after Thanksgiving.

Haven't done much sewing, either, though I'm working on that. Where does the time go?

Purple Pam said...

So glad you are back to blogging. I know it takes time, and I do not always get a post done in a timely manner, either. I was worried about you. Hope you can manage your time so you can post on your blog more often. That is one of my goals for this new year also. I like your Orca Bay pieces. It will be a super quilt I am sure.

Mariella said...

Hi, I just found your blog and I feel like we had SO MUCH in common. If you went to my blog right now you would see it's been awhile since my last post.....and yes I'd love to change that in 2012. Another....too many UFO's and a desire to tackle my list (over 25). I think that 1 a month would be very strenuous for me but maybe 1 every two months could be do-able. ANd....OH BOY can I WASTE TIME.... I've tried and tried that FLYLADY program....and yes it has helped a bit....but there just never are enough hours in the day.....and I'm so easily distracted....

I recently took up knitting again after decades. It really is an enjoyable and relaxing pastime. I love your socks. I've never made socks. ¿Are they difficult? Guess I'll google for a - how to - on the art of sock making!!

Well, love your blog and I'll be a follower after this comment!